Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Jean-Luc Godard makes me upset?

I looked through my imdb watchlist and picked up a film. Boyfriend agreed to watch it with me and downloaded the film. There are two reasons why I chose Pierrot le Fou (1965):
  • I've never seen a film with Anna Karina
  • It says "Pierrot escapes his boring society and travels from Paris to the Mediterranean Sea with Marianne, a girl chased by hit-men from Algeria. They lead an unorthodox life, always on the run" in the description
So. When we watched it up to 10th minute, Boyfriend decided to check who is the director as he completely forgot to do it before downloading the movie. BAM. It was Godard. I've never watched a single movie by Godard because I was told that I'm not gonna like it. Indeed I did not.

From the first moment I recognized the interiors. So colorful, they probably hired an interior designer. Then, I noticed Picasso's "Girl before the mirror" print hanging on the kitchen wall. I couldn't stop thinking about it.


Of course! The whole movie is just one big Picasso painting (who I have no feelings about). It's abstract, it doesn't make sense, and it's colourful. Non-stop scenery changes, characters are always in action, something is constantly happening and nothing is happening at all. No semantic load with ~kewl~/~moody~ dialog insertions and ~mysterious~ phrase repetitions instead. "God, I know exactly this type of people who worship this kind of movies!" It's "you don't understand..." type of people. It's "Rothko paintings are so smart and calming" type of people, "the curtains represent his immense depression and his lack of will to carry on" type of people.

"I think, I'll get v upset if I meet the Godard fan" I said to Boyfriend. 
"I don't like people who like Godard's movies" Boyfriend wrote on Twitter.

We watched it up to 20th minute and then Boyfriend "moved it to trash". 2/10 for the interior design.

No comments:

Post a Comment